I’m all for an old fashioned bowl of mac and cheese, but sometimes a more grown up version is better suited to my tastes. Recently I made this recipe I found in a Better Homes & Gardens magazine and made a few substitutions and the fam loved it!
chicken broccoli mac and cheese
- 8 oz dried penne
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2-3 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cooked
- 1 5.2 oz package semisoft cheese with garlic and herbs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to pacakge directions, adding the broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cook time.
- While the pasta is cooking, coarsely chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and set aside.
- In the pasta pot, combine cheese, milk, red peppers and pepper. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Add the pasta & broccoli mixture and then the chicken and heat through.
- Serve immediately.
The recipe comes together super fast! You can also use roasted chicken (from the market deli) to make it even faster and add another layer of flavor (if you buy the lemon pepper rotisserie chicken). I think my favorite part was that it wasn’t drenched in cheese but it was still flavorful enough that even my pickiest eater (read: the hubs) raved about it!