Now that the hubs and I are back in the Lone Star State, we have been making road trips fairly regularly. As a result I’ve pretty much killed any future appetite I might have for road-trip food. This includes Subway (most of them in gas stations – blech!), McDonald’s (never was a fan anyway), Sonic (I can still buy drinks there) and of course, the Texas Stop Sign: Dairy Queen. On our most recent road trip I had an idea: how about I make dinner, picnic style, for us to eat on the road?!!?
This not only saves money, but it gives us a choice!
I whipped up a very simply recipe for tuna pasta salad. It travels well in the cooler, eats easily out of the container and it’s pretty much fat-free and adaptable to any palate!
tuna pasta salad
- 2 cans chunk light tuna in water
- 1 can sweet golden corn
- 2 cups cooked spiral pasta
- 2 Tbsp Miracle Whip
- to taste bread & butter pickle chips
- Cook pasta until al dente, set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl add tuna and corn and toss.
- Add in pasta plus Miracle Whip.
- Toss until pasta is moist enough to hold on to corn and tuna. Add more Miracle Whip if necessary.
- Add diced pickles and toss.
- Refrigerate until cold, then serve.
It was a huge hit with hubs, and with me not having to subject myself to fast food on the road!
While I know he might have liked a little more salt on it (I tend to always go low on the salt), he ate every last bite over the weekend! Some variations I might try in the future include using banana peppers, green and red bell peppers or even replacing the pickles with some fresh dill. I love that this is so easy to make (and take) and it inspired me to try new take-a-long pastas for our future road trips!
What do you think? How could I make this even better?